The American Scandinavian Association (ASA) of the National Capital Area is a local non-profit cultural organization based in Washington, DC. The goals of ASA are to:
- promote cultural exchange between the United States and the Nordic Countries of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden;
- increase understanding of the Nordic peoples and societies among Americans;
- provide a forum where people interested in Scandinavia can meet and enjoy Nordic culture and activities.
Founded in 1983, ASA is successor to the Washington, D.C. Chapter of the American Scandinavian Foundation.
>> Learn more about the history of ASA.
2019-2020 Board of Directors
- PRESIDENT: Anne Marie Hvid
- FIRST VICE PRESIDENT: Christina Lazdins
- SECOND VICE PRESIDENT: Pat Ikonen
- SECRETARY: Christina Keune
- TREASURER: Anne Eason
- MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY: vacant
- MEMBERS AT LARGE:
- Marianne Gustafson
- Dorte Kampmann
- Duncan MacKinnon
- NEWSLETTER EDITOR: Anna Strohmeyer
- PAST PRESIDENT: Marshall Cohen
- PAST PRESIDENT: Rose Marie Oster
Join ASA Today
We invite you to join ASA and become part of Scandinavia in the United States. Member benefits include a monthly newsletter, lectures about Scandinavia, and more.