The American Scandinavian Association (ASA) was originally formed as an associate chapter of the American Scandinavian Foundation. The organization came together in 1964 because of the combined efforts of Dr. John G. Allee and Henry Hanson with the strong support of Carlo Christiansen, Cultural Attache of the Danish Embassy.
- In 1972, two interest groups were formed to promote specific cultural interests - a folk dancing group today known as the Nordic Dancers and a literature group named the Scandinavian Literature Group.
- In 1978, the Library Fund was formed in order to support placing The Scandinavian Review (from the American Scandinavian Foundation in New York) in 20 libraries of the Washington, DC metropolitan area. The financial support was renewed annually.
- In 1983, the American Scandinavian Foundation of New York requested that their chapters be dissolved throughout the country. Accordingly, the Washington, DC chapter dissolved and the group continued under the name the American Scandinavian Association of the National Capital Area, Inc. It became incorporated in the District of Columbia in June 1983.
- In 1990, a Cultural Fund was voted in to support cultural activities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area on an annual basis.
- In 1991, a Scandinavian Scholarship was established to be awarded every other year. The recipient must be a member or child or grandchild of a member in ASANCA with the intent of pursuing Scandinavian Studies.
- In 1992, ASA applied and received Internal Revenue Service Tax exempt status 501(c)3.
- In 1995, the ASA Board and the membership voted to add an annual summer Scandinavian Language Camp Scholarship.
- In 2002, the first Annual Joint Midsommar/Juhannus Celebration was formed with Drott Lodge, Vasa Order of America, and Finlandia Foundation National Capital Chapter.
- In 2007, the 6th Annual Joint Midsommar/Juhannus Celebration was joined by the Swedish Women’s Educational Association.
Past Presidents of the Washington, DC Chapter of the American Scandinavian Foundation
(The DC Chapter dissolved on May 15, 1983)
- 1964-66 John G. Allee
- 1966-68 Henry Hanson
- 1968-70 William Feller
- 1970-71 Robert Frazer
- 1971-73 Alan O. Mann
- 1973-75 John G. Allee
- 1975-77 Kristi Johnson
- 1977-79 Keith Olson
- 1979-81 Arden Nelsen
- 1981-83 Lars Johanson
Past Presidents of the American Scandinavian Association of the National Capital Area, Inc.
(Incorporated in the District of Columbia in 1983)
- 1983-1986 Rosemarie Oster
- 1986-1988 John Willoughby
- 1988-1990 Erland Magnusson
- 1990-1992 Mildred Hanson
- 1992-1994 Marilyn Benson
- 1994-1996 Ingrid Beach
- 1996-1997 Rosemarie Oster
- 1998-1999 Keith Olson
- 1999-2000 Anne Eason & Kristi Johnson
- 2000-2002 Erland Magnusson
- 2002-2003 Ann Munsey
- 2003-2007 Margaret Schueman
- 2007-2009 Taru Spiegel
- 2009-2015 Rosemarie Oster
- 2015-2017 Marshall Cohen
- 2017-2018 Anne Marie Hvid